Kirby Productions
Kirby Productions
Kirby Productions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kirby Productions

HomeKirbypkscapeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Smith scores 25 to lead Hawks over Bulls 109-94
NBA asks N.Y. judge to clear obstacle in talks I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 9:16 am by xiaojin

» In Echo of ’08, Giants Beat Patriots
NBA asks N.Y. judge to clear obstacle in talks I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 9:25 am by Magdalene

» NBA asks N.Y. judge to clear obstacle in talks
NBA asks N.Y. judge to clear obstacle in talks I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 8:49 am by Swinderman

» Angry judge revokes Lindsay Lohan probation
NBA asks N.Y. judge to clear obstacle in talks I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 8:24 am by Vivian

» Re-Count to 10,000
NBA asks N.Y. judge to clear obstacle in talks I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 12:31 am by Kirby™

» Hey guys
NBA asks N.Y. judge to clear obstacle in talks I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 12:21 pm by Sarah

» Player's Names
NBA asks N.Y. judge to clear obstacle in talks I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 2:07 pm by Sarah

» Woot, first with 100POSTS!!
NBA asks N.Y. judge to clear obstacle in talks I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 2:05 am by 1337pure

» Colinj's Intro
NBA asks N.Y. judge to clear obstacle in talks I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 1:22 am by 1337pure

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 10 on Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:01 am
Top posters
Externity
NBA asks N.Y. judge to clear obstacle in talks I_vote_lcapNBA asks N.Y. judge to clear obstacle in talks I_voting_barNBA asks N.Y. judge to clear obstacle in talks I_vote_rcap 
1337pure
NBA asks N.Y. judge to clear obstacle in talks I_vote_lcapNBA asks N.Y. judge to clear obstacle in talks I_voting_barNBA asks N.Y. judge to clear obstacle in talks I_vote_rcap 
Hearts
Kirby™
Colinj
Slight Truth
Jordan
Sarah
optic dylan
Winter♂
Statistics
We have 73 registered users
The newest registered user is shisanyue

Our users have posted a total of 353 messages in 42 subjects
Affiliates
free forum

NBA asks N.Y. judge to clear obstacle in talks

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Swinderman
Noob
Noob

NBA asks N.Y. judge to clear obstacle in talks Empty
PostSubject: NBA asks N.Y. judge to clear obstacle in talks   NBA asks N.Y. judge to clear obstacle in talks I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 8:49 am

NEW YORK (AP) – Is the NBA lockout legal or not under antitrust laws?
That's the question league cheap nfl jerseysattorneys want a federal judge to answer — before players potentially file an antitrust lawsuit as the NFL Players Association did during football's recent lockout.

U.S. District Judge Paul Gardephe, however, expressed reluctance Wednesday to wade into the NBA's labor mess.

MORE: No NBA games could dent Vegas betting 15-18%

In oral arguments in Manhattan, NBA attorney Jeffrey Mishkin said the NBA Players Association is using the possibility of an antitrust fight like "a loaded gun" owholesale nfl jerseysn the negotiating table and urged Gardephe to reject the union's request to toss the league's lawsuit.

Mishkin said the NBA is seeking the court's blessing for its actions so that the union stops threatening an antitrust fight to gain an upper hand in negotiations.
"They prefer the uncertainty," Mishkin said of the union's effort to get the lawsuit tossed out. "It's like taking a loaded gun and laying it on the table."

Gardephe brushed aside Mishkin's argument, saying posturing is part of negotiations.

"If they've put the gun on the table, it's not clear there are any bullets in it," the judge said. "The courts discount threats of litigation in the context of collective bargaining."

The NBA locked out its players July 1, and Commissioner David Stern already has canceled all November games.

Progress has stalled since talks broke off last Friday over the revenue split. The union's executive committee plans to meet Thursday in New York, a person with knowledge of the plans told the Associated Press. The person requested anonymity because the plans have not been made public.

Players Association president Derek Fisher and executive director Billy Hunter each sent a letter to members earlier this week denying reports about a rift among the leadership.

Union lawyer Jeffrey Kessler said in court Wednesday that the NBA case should be tossed out because the league was trying to get the court involved on the mere possibility there would be an antitrust fight.
Cheap NFL Jerseys
"They have no case," he said. "They're seeking to do something unprecedented, inappropriate."

Mishkin insisted the league had to act to stop threats that were hampering negotiations. He said the union was prepared to dissolve itself, a necessary legal step before individual players could bring antitrust actions against the league in federal court.

"They've already collected the cards. They can do it at any moment," he said. "We don't have to wait. We don't have to be subject to their whim.

"We want to get the antitrust threat out of the bargaining."

Gardephe did not immediately rule, but he questioned Mishkin at length and was skeptical of his arguments, saying at one point that the NBA lawsuit contained a "fair amount of speculation."

The judge indicated that for all the talk of tangling, the two sides were speaking different languages. Gardephe said reading the written briefs prior to the hearing was like watching "two ships passing in the night."http://techscape.dust.tv/t65-nba-asks-ny-judge-to-clear-obstacle-in-talks
Back to top Go down

NBA asks N.Y. judge to clear obstacle in talks
Page 1 of 1